Search

How I got an IKEA PAX Wardobe for £70!



So, me and J have been quite good this Christmas, we spent a total of £200 on our family and this January we have some money to go towards a wardrobe. J is a Joiner (btw that isn't the reason why I call him J, his name starts with it) I designed the wardrobe on the IKEA Pax Builder, while I should have been doing other things and all in all for 2750mm wide wardrobe out of our house account money it is gonna cost us £70.

My IKEA Open Wardrobe Plan

When we first moved in we took a broadband offer from -BT for 18 month for 29.99-  on black friday (the deal is still on).
I also didn't know but the offer came with £120 cashback loaded on a MasterCard which we got the pin for in the first week of Jan. My friend told me about this offer when he got his and I then rang them and asked them where my MasterCard was, it came through in December and we had been saving the money on it in case we needed something.



I was looking around IKEA on so many occasions thinking what we needed for our bedroom that would be around £120 and would free us up space, at first I stumbled on the RAST dressers for our bedside tables but they will have to wait for another time.
What we need is a wardrobe because my 9 piece dresser unit in our bedroom (See pic below) has all our clothes in it, apart from the ones in the wardrobe that J's mum gifted us. We desperately need clothing space. At the minute I do not feel my best. I can't find anything and I feel like an open plan wardrobe would be the best thing for us at this minute with the money we have not used from Christmas.

So the wardrobe cost £215. I also have £25 still left on an IKEA gift card for some purchases I took back.

Wardrobe Cost: £215
BT Rewards Card: -£120
IKEA card: -£25

Total Outlay- £70
Between me and J's personal spend this will cost us £35 each. So this January I will be having a wardrobe that has literally cost me in cash £35.

I may do a post on how I organise our finances because I orchestrated it so it only took us 6 weeks before we had enough money to move in and get part furnished. Read my blog post about that here. Let me know in the comments if you think that would be worth reading.

At the Minute we are gonna have it open plan! The middle section where the shelf and mesh basket is, is gonna be where we place our TV and J's games console because we Netflix and chill quite a lot in this room. Because he has power tools I am going to kindly ask him to make a small hole between the shelf and mesh basket, this is why I have designed it so close, so we can feed the wires to the back of it and into the plug. So not only is this wardrobe going to be that, it is also going to be a makeshift media centre. The left side will be my side and the right side will be J's side to mirror our bed sleeping perfectly.

Our Before Set up



As you can obviously see there is a lot of dead space at either side of that large chest of drawers, don't be fooled by the picture also, that bed is a kingsize bed so that chest of drawers is housing probably over 50+ items of clothing! Before moving here I had everything else in these drawers. My underwear went in the bottom two, along with J's, and all the other drawers had my body cosmetics, my perfumes, my Electronics, if I couldn't fit it into my vanity which you can see from the picture is pretty small in comparison, it went in here. I also had my hair dryer and straighteners in here.

The TV was positioned at that side very biased by "The Male" that is J. Now with our new set up it is positioned perfectly in the centre of the room. I think deep down he did it because we could snuggle, but also that it was closer to the plug. J is the villain in my story, always.


Saturday 12th January

Please don't judge me but, before this I had never been to IKEA to buy furniture, so I had just bought things from the market place, and oh boy was my bum naive, I thought I could go to the self serve area after looking around the showroom for aisle and location. Boy was I wrong, with PAX you go to the PAX people located in the wardrobe section and because I had previously designed this I logged in and set my wardrobe to print, the lovely blonde lady at Sheffield branch helped us loads with our order. 
So  obviously because my Naive ass went around IKEA we ended up buying more extra things.

  1. Extra Hangers
  2. Tupperware
  3. Cushion Covers
  4. Cushion Inserts
  5. Kitchen Utensils
  6. Candles
  7. Curtains

It took us 2.5 hours all in all to do this. But it could have been done in an hour if J had not left his tools at work, so we made do with a screwdriver from his very handy socket set. I actually adore the fact that my other half is a handyman, it makes for lugging stuff upstairs very easy, and entertaining to watch. For a short bloke, (under 6ft) he is very strong.

Prepping the Area

Empty Wardrobe Messy Bed
First we emptied the wardobe and dumped all our clothes onto the bed.
Second we took this warrobe to our guest room where it will live till we do the spare room, and even when we finally get around to doing the spare room.
Then I emptied the drawers in the 9 drawer chest of drawers and moved it over to where the wardrobe once lived. I dragged this across the room while J brought the boxes upstairs. We did this pretty efficiently, we basically, brought one up, built it, placed it and did it again.
We did this to allow J some time before he had to lift heavy things again, to allow for space while we made and for ease of installation, I would recommend this way. It was so easy this way.

Big Reveal




At this minute we don't have doors but I kinda like it because I don't have anywhere to hide my stuff and that is what the chest of drawers was doing, I was wearing the same thing over and over because it was fresh out of the wash and not actually exploring the lovely stuff I do have. 
So I feel so much cuter now, even so that  today Sunday 13th Jan we went out for Sunday dinner with J's mum and I knew instantly what I wanted to wear. We will be adding drawers and doors bit by bit and this space will be absolutely gorgeous. I will keep you updated 

Thank you for reading this very lengthy post.



No comments

I love it when you leave comments, leave a blog post link or your twitter and I'll always message you to tell you I've replied.